The parish of Wootton has a heritage dating back to medieval times when it provided the fertile farming land sandwiched between Abingdon, one of the oldest towns in Britain, and Oxford the City of Dreaming Spires and the home of the oldest university in the English speaking world. The parish still performs the same role to this day of supporting the Green Belt which prevents Oxford and Abingdon coalescing into a single conurbation.
Wootton is a village and civil parish in the Vale of White Horse about 3 miles (5 km) north-west of Abingdon.
It was part of Berkshire until the 1974 when boundary changes transferred it to Oxfordshire. The parish of Wootton includes the hamlets of Whitecross and Lamborough Hill and the western part of Boars Hill. The 2011 Census recorded the parish’s population as 2,709.
The area of Wootton Abingdon Parish is approximately:
- 6.145km2 (Square Kilometres), or
- 6,145,778m2 (Square Metres), or
- 614Ha (Hectares), or
- 2.37Sqm (Square Miles), or
- 66,152,603Sqft (Square Feet)
The Perimeter of of Wootton Abingdon Parish is approximately:
- 12.8km (Kilometres), or
- 12,876m (Metres), or
- 8 miles, or
- 14,081 yards
The Length and breadth of Wootton (Nr Abingdon) is approximately:
- 4.46Km (Kilometres) long (North to South)
- 2.32km (Kilometres) wide (East to West)
The Geographical middle of the Parish is in a field at the bottom of Boars Hill:
- Longitude (WGS84): W1:18:22 (-1.30599999), Latitude: N51:42:39 (51.71089935)
- British National Grid Reference: E448046 (OS X), N201580 (OX Y)
- Nearest Postcode: OX1 5JJ
- What3Words Reference: pine.police.doing
- Google Maps Reference: https://goo.gl/maps/Tcteotb1QHHhiEoY6
The following social and demographic information for Wootton (Nr Abingdon) Parish is correct up to March 2020.
- Population: 3,570
- The population is split between 610 0-15yr olds, 2,115 working age, 845 65+ yr olds.
- Vulnerable Groups: 4% of children are living in poverty (8% District Average)
- Housing: 1% of households lack central heating (2% District Average)
- Crime: The crime rate in Wootton Parish is lower than the District Average
- Health & Wellbeing: 15% of people have limiting long-term illness in the parish (14% District Average)
- Education & Skills: 19% of people have no qualifications in Wootton Parish (17% District Average)
- Economy: 41% of people aged 16-74 are in full-time employment (District Average 45%)
- Access & Transport: 9% of households have no car in Wootton Parish (District Average: 13%)
- Communities & Environment: 86.2% of people in Wootton Parish are satisfied with their neighbourhood
All statistics in the “social facts” section above courtesy of OCSI Local insight profile ©, created 5th March 2020. The full report can be downloaded using this link: Local insight report for Wootton Abingdon Parish.