The church of ST. PETER, Wootton, consists of a chancel 20 ft. 6 in. by 12 ft. 6 in., nave 42 ft. 4 in. by 19 ft. 6 in., north vestry and south porch. The measurements are internal.
The chancel was built in the 14th century, and it is possible that the nave was built with it, but the windows are later insertions. The south porch was apparently added late in the 16th century. The church has been restored in modern times, and an extension westwards is now in contemplation. The chancel has a twolight 14th-century east window. There is a pointed door on the north to the vestry, and in the south wall is a two-light window originally of the 14th century, but altered at a late date. To the east of it is a piscina with an ogee head.
Further west is a blocked low-side window visible externally. The chancel arch is segmental and probably of 18th century date. The trussed rafter roof is plastered on the soffit. The nave has two windows in each side wall, the first pair of three lights and the second of two only; all have square heads and are of the 15th century. Between the two on the south is the 16th century south door with a low four-centred head. In the west wall is a three-light window similar to those in the side walls, and above it is a two-light window of the same character. The wagon roof is plastered, but has moulded wall-plates.
Over the west end is a late timber bellcote containing one bell. The south porch has stone benches and a single-light opening on each side. The outer entrance has a three-centred head, probably of late 16th-century date. On the gable is an 18th-century sundial. The vestry is covered with stucco, dated ‘W.H. 1754.’ The circular font stands on a stem of the same form, but is of doubtful date.
The plate includes a mediaeval paten of curious design and without date; the outer rim is apparently more recent than the inner part and in the centre is the head of Our Lord. There are also a chalice, flagon and almsdish dated 1786 and a modern chalice, bought to replace that of 1786 which is cracked. The registers begin in 1653. To the south of the chancel is the weathered base of a churchyard cross.
Chapelry of Wootton: Eleemosynary charities. In 1747 Jane Mayo, by deed, gave a close called the Church Close, in trust that the rents be distributed on Christmas Day to the poor. The land contains 1 a. 0 r. 21 p., and produces £2 15s. yearly. A sum of £3 1s. 4d. consols, representing proceeds of the sale of timber, is also held by the official trustees.
Reference: ‘Parishes: Cumnor’, in A History of the County of Berkshire: Volume 4, ed. William Page and P H Ditchfield (London, 1924), pp. 398-405.